About the Role
Reports To: Executive Director
Canal Dock seeks a per diem coach to assist with conducting dry-land rowing and fitness classes, private lessons and operation of boating events. Hours will vary from week to week depending on event and class schedules.
Canal Dock’s current rowing programs are aimed at junior, club and master level rowers. All programs share goals of learning basic skills, developing fitness, and enjoying outdoor recreation. Canal Dock is not currently a competitive rowing club; it is in the process of growing membership, gaining knowledge and experience with the waterways, and growing other recreational activities like paddling and sailing. We are a community boating program dedicated to increasing awareness and exposure to rowing, paddling, fitness and New Haven’s waterways.
This is a per diem position and considered “non-exempt” as defined by Federal and/or Connecticut law; salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Job type- Part-time seasonal rowing coach
Location- Canal Dock Boathouse, 475 Long Wharf Drive, New Haven, CT 06511
Job title- Learn to Row Assistant Coach
Hourly Wage - $18.00 - $20.00 per hour
Reports to Executive Director
Canal Dock Boathouse seeks a part-time, seasonal rowing coach to assist with our Youth Summer Camp
Intro to Rowing Sessions.
The camp has 6 one week sessions:
session 1) June 26-30,
session 2) July 10-14,
session 3) July 17-21,
session 4) July 31- August 4,
session 5) August 7-11,
session 6) August 14-18.
The sessions run from 8am to noon for the campers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching basic rowing (sculling) technique,
- proper equipment handling,
- water safety,
- concept 2 ergometer training,
- plyometrics, body weight training and stretching,
- collecting camper applications and minor administrative responsibilities,
- working in tandem with Head Learn to Row Coach and Canal Dock staff.
- pre and post practice set up and break down.
Qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- 4 years of rowing on the club, scholastic and/or collegiate level, sculling or sweep,
- prior coaching experience a plus but not required with competitive rowing experience,
- ability to work well with high school aged kids,
- excellent written and verbal communication skills,
- Red Cross CPR and First Aid certified- can obtain upon hire,
- CT Boat and Water Safety Certified- can obtain upon hire,
- full background check required, National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI), SafeSport certified and compliant.
About the Company
Canal Dock Boathouse, Inc. is a newly formed non-profit established to bring the community to New Haven’s waterfront.
To apply for one of the positions listed below, please send a resume or any questions regarding one of our job postings to firstname.lastname@example.org.