Canal Dock Boathouse, Inc. is a newly formed non-profit established to bring the community to New Haven’s waterfront.
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Per Diem Coach & Fitness Instructor
Canal Dock seeks a per diem coach to assist with conducting dry-land rowing and fitness classes, private lessons and operation of boating events. Hours will vary from week to week depending on event and class schedules.
Canal Dock’s current rowing programs are aimed at junior, club and master level rowers. All programs share goals of learning basic skills, developing fitness, and enjoying outdoor recreation. Canal Dock is not currently a competitive rowing club; it is in the process of growing membership, gaining knowledge and experience with the waterways, and growing other recreational activities like paddling and sailing. We are a community boating program dedicated to increasing awareness and exposure to rowing, paddling, fitness and New Haven’s waterways.
This is a per diem position and considered “non-exempt” as defined by Federal and/or Connecticut law; salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Broad description of responsibilities:
- Assist with the implementation of community programs which include, but are not limited to, on the water instruction, creating training plans for those interested in increasing fitness, and setting expectations and goals for participants
- Coach and participate with boaters to improve skills and increase overall boating abilities
- Support the mission of creating opportunity for participation in all activities and promote inclusive boating
- Execute all safety protocols and ensure the safekeeping of boaters and equipment
- Responsible for equipment sanitation, maintenance and upkeep
- Disseminate, and take pride in the missions of Canal Dock
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Run outdoor fitness and erging classes for Canal Dock members and members of the greater New Haven community
- Conduct private lessons for adults and juniors
- Conduct classes to clear new members to participate in rowing and paddling activities
- Ensure that all boats and equipment are properly sanitized before and after use
- Ensure boats and equipment are appropriately maintained and stored after use
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Assist with special events and community days
- Excellent communication & teaching skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work with rowers & boaters of all ages, experience, athleticism
- Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Certification
- US Rowing Association Level 1 Coaching Certification (can obtain upon hire)
- CT boat and water safety certification (can obtain upon hire)
- Background check; National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI)
- Rowing experience required; sculling preferred
- 1-2 years coaching experience considered a plus, but not a requirement
- Hourly $18 – $20 an hour
Resume and cover letter can be sent to email@example.com.
We invite you to visit this site often for the latest job postings in program and administrative areas. To apply please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canal Dock Boathouse, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, gender, actual or presumed disability, history of disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, pregnancy, military status, marital status, or partnership status, or any other characteristic protected by law.